- About ACM
- About Children’s Museums
- Elevating the Field
- Conferences and Professional Development
- Member Login
MHDM is seeking a Director of Development with experience in fundraising, grant writing, grant administration, and project management to lead the organization’s fundraising and development operations. This position requires a high-energy, smart, detail-oriented, hard-working leader who can contribute to and support the strategic vision of the organization and build deep and lasting relationships with donors and prospects.
• Passionate about MHDM mission and vision.
• Bachelor's degree; science and education background helpful.
• Solid demonstrated experience of working in all areas of development highlighted in this job description at a not-for-profit institution. Museum or education field is a plus.
• Successful fundraising history, including knowledge of gift solicitation, cultivation and stewardship, annual and/or special campaigns, planned giving and development communications.
• Strong computer, database, research and budgeting skills.
• Experience working SAM.gov, Grants.gov, and related government grant management portals.
• Skilled at writing, oral communications, and professional presentations.
• Able to quickly learn project objectives and devise solutions for reaching them; observant and proactive in determining project needs and seeking creative solutions.
• Excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
• Self-directed, proactive and comfortable working independently.
• Ability to relate well and establish rapid rapport with a wide variety of people using initiative and diplomatic assertiveness.
• Ability to work with both long- and short-term deadlines and to establish effective timelines for accomplishing long-range goals.
Grant Writing and Administration
• Prospect and research current and upcoming grants in order to create and maintain a pipeline calendar with due dates, dollar values and next steps.
• Apply and submit all grant pre-qualification information and LOI’s as required.
• Conduct pre-proposal strategy, development, and budgets in collaboration with senior leadership and operating team.
• Compose grant application responses in a manner that effectively showcases MHDM as a proficient and well-informed institution.
• Oversee grant proposal submission process and follow-up timelines; manage grant contact lists and maintain electronic and hard copy grant files.
• Coordinate grant acceptance activities, contracting, scope-of-work development, billing and reporting to granting agencies.
• Facilitate overall integration of grant project work with other museum functions and work plans.
• Develop and monitor project budgets, work closely with Business Manager on financial reporting.
Individual and Corporate Giving
• Enhance initiatives aimed at expanding the museum's donor base by conducting prospect research to identify and investigate individuals and corporations whose past charitable contributions indicate a shared interest in the museum's mission and a potential inclination to support it.
• Collaborate with the Executive Director to develop a cultivation process that aligns with the insights gathered from prospect research, ensuring it is tailored to engage and nurture promising potential supporters effectively.
• Conceive, propose, and lead on-site cultivation events aimed at engaging both prospective and existing donors.
• Establish and sustain an ongoing system for recording all donor communications and ensuring timely follow-up actions.
• Collaborate with team members to ensure that significant donors and sponsors receive appropriate recognition.
Sponsorships and Naming Rights
• Sponsorships and naming rights offer an alternative philanthropic option. Consequently, the Director of Development will formulate strategies and concepts that capture the interests of parties wishing to support the museum in this matter.
• Collaborate with team members to create a viable plan that encompasses recognition strategies for sponsorships and naming rights in a sustainable manner.
• Work with Executive Director to lead and participate on our Board Development Committee.
• Help plan and organize quarterly committee meetings.
• Serve as a resource to committee members as they take on the various tasks of cultivation and fundraising.
• Assist the Executive Director by performing other tasks as needed to support the business of the museum.
|Job Status:||Full Time|
|Application Instructions:||Please review the position description and include the following items with your application: • 1-page cover letter • Resume • 1–2-page bullet-list summary that explains how your previous experience supports the key duties and responsibilities listed in the position description • List of 3-4 references. Please provide the affiliation, appropriate phone numbers, mailing address, and email address for each reference. References will only be contacted upon your approval of a release to do so. (Do not send letters of reference.) Please e-mail your application as a Word or PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send your application embedded in the text of an email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We will only contact applicants that most closely fit position requirements. Thank you for your interest in the Mid-Hudson Discovery Museum. We look forward to reviewing your application. The Mid-Hudson Discovery Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a passionate commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion|