Early Childhood Educator
The mission of The DoSeum is to grow minds, connect families, and transform communities through joyful learning and discovery. As a premier educational resource, we develop innovative thinkers capable of meeting the challenges of the 21st century. With two floors of interactive exhibitions and curricula devoted to STEM, the arts, and literacy, The DoSeum is San Antonio’s only museum devoted exclusively to children ages 10 and under.
The Early Childhood Educator develops, conducts, and oversees delivery of The DoSeum’s early childhood programs, which currently serve children ages birth to four. S/he also serves as director of The Little Doers program, a State licensed child care facility owned and operated by The DoSeum. The program offers a DoSeum developed curriculum to children (ages 3 and 4) from September through May. Responsibilities also include the development and execution of summer and holiday camps, the Early Childhood Enrollment program, and to serve as a lead authority within The DoSeum on best practices as related to early childhood education, informing both program development and exhibition design.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate, visionary educator who understands the needs of early ages, particularly birth to four, their caregivers, and educators. Ideal candidates are inspired by the challenge of managing a suite of programs that integrate STEM, the arts, and early literacy, and are adept at working with colleagues across management lines to both deliver and train others to deliver the programs s/he creates.
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university—including courses in Educational Psychology and Child Growth and Development, or a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education/Child Development—with 12 college credit hours in child development and six college credit hours in management. A Master’s degree in Education (ECE/CD or Elementary) is preferred.
• At least two years of experience in a licensed childcare center.
• Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle available for local travel.
• Develop, facilitate, and manage high-quality new and existing early childhood programs.
• Oversee standards-based curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation. Coach and mentor DoSeum staff in the delivery of designed programs.
• Assist with the coordination and implementation of gallery facilitation efforts for The DoSeum’s permanent and temporary exhibition galleries in alignment to gallery and DoSeum objectives.
• Direct efforts of The Little Doers program, managing personnel and overseeing administrative (including budgetary) responsibilities.
• Comply with Minimum Standard Rules of the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (TDFPS) under which the schools are licensed by the State of Texas.
• Consult with and observe the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Early Childhood Program Standards and Texas Guidelines for Pre-Kindergarten.
• Consistently and effectively interact with caregivers of prospective and current program participants.
• Assist in The DoSeum’s implementation of the National Living Laboratory program.
• Effectively use data management systems for financial and client management purposes.
• Must be occasionally available to conduct or oversee programming on select nights and weekends.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Work as a dynamic team leader and member to foster interdepartmental work and relationships
• Serve as an ambassador for The DoSeum in communicating and furthering the mission and goals of the institution.
|Deadline||October 5, 2018|
|Date Listed:||September 6, 2018|
|Salary||$42,000 - $48,000|
|Application Instructions||Submit resume, the names of three references and cover letter indicating interest and qualifications to HR@thedoseum.org. Please reference “Position: Early Childhood Educator” in the subject line. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by the Early Childhood Educator. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position, which can be revised real-time at the discretion of the VP of Education. The DoSeum is an equal opportunity employer.|