Chef Educator & Kitchen Manager
This position is responsible for leading and coordinating all aspects of the cooking school at The Edible Schoolyard
at GCM. The person will design and execute cooking classes for children and adults, manage the kitchen schedule,
coordinate outside instructors for cooking classes, and participate in garden-based lessons. ESY includes a halfacre
garden exhibit and cooking school working to connect children and families to their food, the earth, and each
Reports to: The Edible Schoolyard & Education Director
Position Status: Full-time, Exempt
Schedule: Seasonal, times may vary
September – May Tuesday – Saturday. 8:30am – 5:30pm
June – August Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm
• Sincere appreciation for work in environmental education and edible education and commitment to local food and the seed to table philosophy
• Able to demonstrate knowledge of NC Piedmont growing conditions and seasonality - gardening experience preferred
• Teaching experience
• Experience teaching group cooking classes to children and adults
• Bachelors degree in a related field or commensurate training in culinary education
• Strong collaborative experience
• Demonstrated creative problem solving skills
• Ability to work and multi-task within an active museum environment
• Constantly moves about the Museum to access kitchen, offices and program spaces
• Must use hands/fingers to demonstrate kitchen and gardening techniques such as (but not limited to) cutting, chopping, planting, weeding, etc.
• Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
• Frequently communicates with students, teachers, parents and staff. Must be able to exchange accurate information during these interactions
• Must be able to read small print
• Frequently moves soil and ingredients weighing up to 30 pounds from parking lot to kitchen or garden
Curriculum and Teaching
• Design, conduct, and evaluate kitchen/garden lessons and activities for guests of all ages
• Independently lead cooking classes for children and adults
• Conduct and evaluate field trips field trips that incorporate STEAM education and academic standards in the garden exhibit
• Design and lead weekly day-camps for children ages 4 -14yrs, June - August
• Conduct schedule and unscheduled tours of the kitchen and garden
• Mentor and train GCM staff, interns, and volunteers to be involved with programming and activities
• Coordinate the scheduling of kitchen activities and events with GCM operations staff
• Cultivate relationships with community and corporate partners to increase kitchen programming
• Manage budgets for grants, sponsorships pertaining to kitchen curriculum or as assigned
• Maintain the kitchen classroom and pantry areas to ensure the facility is clean, safe, and welcoming
• Develop and maintain safety standards for food handling, equipment operation, other general kitchen
• Conduct pantry inventories and procure food, equipment, and supplies as needed.
• Work with Development Director to coordinate requests for in-kind donations.
• Mentor and train Assistant Teachers, interns, and volunteers to be involved with programming and
• Work with all GCM staff to ensure effective team-based work.
• Participate in off-site activities to increase food awareness and promote ESY programs.
• Write copy for marketing materials.
|Date Listed:||March 28, 2018|
|Organization||Greensboro Children's Museum|
|Address||220 N. Church St.|
|Job Listing||View Complete Job Listing|
|Application Instructions||To apply, please email your resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org|