WOW! Children’s Museum is an equal-opportunity, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that offers employees a creative and collaborative working environment. We engage all families in educational, hands-on experiences that connect curiosity, creativity and discovery and serve approximately 90,000 visitors annually. We are seeking a skilled Exhibit Designer with a proven record of success to join our team in a leadership role as we refresh our 8,000 SF facility in Lafayette, CO. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in design and experience in developing high quality, interactive exhibits for young children rooted in early childhood education best practice.
Guided by our strategic plan and educational philosophy, the Exhibits Designer will work collaboratively with Museum staff and content experts to build innovative and engaging exhibits that engage young learners in our community. This position will manage all stages of project development including: conceptual design, construction, installation and maintenance of all exhibits in the Museum.
Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, architecture or exhibit design or equivalent experience. Experience designing, fabricating, installing and managing exhibits in a museum setting – children’s museum experience preferred.
1. Exhibit Development and Design
• Works very closely with Museum staff and content experts to identify new exhibits, or renovations of existing exhibits, aligned with and guided by WOW!’s values, strategic plan, learning approach and aesthetic standards.
• Translates ideas into floor plans, sketches and/or 3-D models to help the team visualize possibilities and options.
• Develops schedules and budgets to ensure projects are completed on time and within allocated resources.
• Builds prototype exhibit components to answer questions regarding exhibit operation or function.
• Produces final design drawings and specifications sufficient to initiate in-house fabrication or bid construction contracts, if necessary.
• Stay up to date on new developments in children’s museum exhibit design and recommend changes for the Museum as needed.
2. Exhibit Fabrication, Installation & Maintenance
• Develops strategies for materials selection, exhibit construction, and installation with minimal disruption to the visitor experience.
• Physically builds exhibits and/or assists with installation, as appropriate.
• Ensures that aesthetic and safety standards are maintained.
• Once a new/renovated exhibit is open, ensures that it is functioning as intended and design improvements, as needed.
• Maintains exhibit project documents in an orderly fashion.
• Supervises Exhibit Technician to ensure daily maintenance, operation and safety of all Museum exhibits.
3. Community Engagement
• Assists the Development Director with fundraising activities, including pitching design ideas to donors and providing content for grant and sponsorship proposals.
• Builds relationships with external partners and serves as an ambassador for WOW! in the community
4. Interdepartmental Collaboration and Training
• Attend all staff meetings as required
• Keep up to date on Museum policies, standards, and specific language
• Assist in additional tasks as assigned by supervisor
|Organization||WOW! Children's Museum|
|Web Address||WOW! Children's Museum|
|Address||110 N. Harrison Ave.|
|Job Listing||View Complete Job Listing|
|Application Instructions||To apply, send a resume, cover letter and a design sample (PDF format only) to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. For the design sample, provide concept drawings and finished photographs of projects that you’ve personally been involved with designing and/or fabricating. The application deadline is November 17, 2017 and we would like the selected candidate to start by early January 2018.|