Let's Move! Museums & Gardens
Let’s Move! Museums & Gardens is part of First Lady Michelle Obama’s national initiative, Let's Move!, to end the childhood obesity epidemic within a generation.
ACM has worked with White House representatives, the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) and its association partners so that children’s museums and all museums, zoos, public gardens, historic sites and science and technology centers have the opportunity to be recognized for their work to support healthy lifestyles for children and families.
Museums and gardens are core, trusted community institutions and have the capacity to influence real and sustained behavior change. Children’s museums’ exhibits, programs, outreach and services that help kids play and learn to be active and eat nutritious foods in the right amounts can make a difference.
This initiative is intended to capture what is happening in museums and gardens and also to encourage new activity. Children’s museums can share exhibit, programming, outreach and service information in the Healthy Happenings section of the Good to Grow! Web site.
Become a Let’s Move! Museum
Institutions are encouraged to take actions across all four priorities! To become a Let’s Move! Museum or a Let’s Move! Garden, all institutions must select at least one of the first two priorities. Those institutions serving food should also select at least one of the second two priorities. Visit the Let’s Move! Museums & Gardens website and join the initiative.
The four priorities:
- Eat healthy, get active exhibits.
- Learning about healthy food choices and physical activity through afterschool, summer and other programs.
- Healthy food service.
- Learning about healthy food choices and physical activity using food service operation.
- Toolkit for Participating Institutions
- The What Works! Manual
- EatPlayGrow Curriculum
- Archived Let’s Move! Webinars
Recognition Opportunities for Let’s Move! Museums
If you're listed on the IMLS Let’s Move! Museums and Gardens website as a confirmed Let’s Move! Museum...Congratulations!
You may be wondering, what’s next?
Like the Let’s Move! Facebook page. And be sure you’ve liked the ACM Facebook and the Institute of Museum and Library Services Facebook pages!
Post a note on Your Museum’s Facebook page. The Facebook note feature will allow you to include a 150-word description about your museum’s healthy eating and healthy exercise programs, policies or exhibits—and attach photos. Add tags for: 1) your museum, 2) the Association of Children’s Museums, 3) Let's Move! and the 4) Institute of Museum and Library Services!
Let's Move! Museums & Gardens Goals
Overarching Participation Goal: In one year, 2,000 museums and gardens will be Let’s Move! Museums or Let’s Move! Gardens.
- Goal 1: In one year, 200 million Americans will visit Let’s Move! Museums and/or Let’s Move! Gardens and learn through interactive experiences.
- Goal 2: In one year, twenty million young people will participate in a Let’s Move! Museum or Let’s Move! Garden education program.
- Goal 3: In one year, 90 percent of Let’s Move! Museums and Let’s Move! Gardens that offer food service will already offer healthy choices or will have changed their menu to offer healthy options.
- Goal 4: In one year, 90 percent of Let’s Move! Museums and Let’s Move! Gardens that offer food service will incorporate interpretation about healthy food choices.