ACM Lends Expertise to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s Curious World Tour
—Two ACM members will host the mobile summer learning experience in August—
Arlington, VA (July 27, 2016)—This summer, global learning company Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) launched Curious World Tour, a mobile and immersive playful learning experience created in partnership with the Association of Children’s Museums (ACM) and Ultimate Block Party. Throughout development of the project, ACM shared knowledge about out-of-school and summer learning, bolstering its mission to promote play-based education.
“We are proud to partner with HMH and share the expertise of children's museums in creating substantive and fun learning opportunities for families with young children,” said Laura Huerta Migus, executive director of the Association of Children's Museums. “Curious World Tour is not only bringing HMH's quality resources for families across the country, but is also making a great statement on the importance of play as the foundation of lifelong learning.”
Curious World Tour is traveling the American Southwest in a “Little Blue Truck” inspired by the classic HMH children’s books of the same name, which unfolds into a playful learning environment for children and families. Each event is free, and HMH will also coordinate with local nonprofit organizations in each market to donate books and resources while engaging families with kids nationwide.
The tour recently completed scheduled stops in Texas and California. There are upcoming events at two ACM member museums: The Children’s Creativity Museum in San Francisco from August 2-3 and Kidspace Children’s Museum in Pasadena from August 7-8.
Each Curious World Tour event will feature stations facilitating hands-on, multi-disciplinary educational activities, including:
- Curious World HQ: The welcome truck with a giant map featuring videos of children saying "hello" in multiple languages.
- Story Camp: A tented library featuring HMH characters and award-winning stories – like Curious George, Gossie and Gertie, and the Five Little Monkeys.
- Community Garden: An outdoor space for kids to engage in various food-learning exercises, such as planting their own seeds in a decorated pot that they can take home.
- Space Station: An extraterrestrial area expanding kids' minds, with the opportunity to make alien puppets and learn about constellations in rocket ship light brites.
- Jungle Jamboree: A play area with an open stage featuring special appearances by Curious George and others, where kids will learn about sound, rhythm and tunes.
- #SparkAMind Color the World: A collaborative mural to help kids express their artistic side and learn about team work as they color in their favorite HMH characters alongside a local artist. Murals will be donated to education institutions and organizations that serve children and families in each local community.
Learners will also have opportunities to engage with the Curious World App, anever-growing library of learning videos, books, and games for children ages 2-7.
About Association of Children's Museums (ACM)
In an increasingly complex world, children’s museums provide a place where all kids can learn through play and exploration with the caring adults in their lives. There are approximately 400 children’s museums around the world, which annually reach more than thirty-one million visitors. ACM provides leadership, professional development, advocacy and resources for its member organizations and individuals. To learn more about ACM and to find an ACM-member children’s museum near you, visit www.ChildrensMuseums.org.
For media inquiries, contact Alison Howard at Alison.Howard (at) ChildrensMuseums.org or (703) 224-3100 x102.